Sunday 15 April 2018

Life as a construction worker with colostomy

I am a full-time construction worker for work. About six months ago, I found out I had to get a colostomy as I was having destructive internal digestive issues. My doctor told me the adjustment period should be two to four-month, but it is still an ongoing process for me. My job is not that much more difficult with my ostomy bag, but there are certain things I can not do as quickly as I once did now that I have this pouch over my abdomen. Life with an ostomy bag while being in construction has its hurdles, but it is not impossible.


The adjustment period has taken a while. My doctor told me that it would not be more than four months. I am still adjusting, but I have almost forgotten about it. The few significant adjustments for one was going to the bathroom without having to be in the bathroom. It is an odd feeling like you are doing something illegal in a way. Another adjustment has been food. I can no longer eat my favorite, that being pizza. My doctor told me if I had it again, I may have some dire consequences erupt in my bag. That is not something I want to see or think about, so I am taking his advice and not eating pizza again. 



Working with an ostomy bag in my profession has had its challenges. I can not reach up as high as I once did. Doing anything that requires leaning is also out of the question. Any type of side to side leaning, and I will have a lot of strain in my abdomen area since the bag is there, keeping all that skin in place not letting it flex and move. Surprisingly, I have come to realize that I prefer the jobs where I'm leaning over or crouched down. It is odd because I used to hate those kinds of jobs. Now with my ostomy bag, it is nice to be hunched over and take some of the pressure off. 

Some things that annoy me are the fact that I can not stand fully upright without there being some pressure or pulling in my abdomen area. I also do not like the slight smell I catch from time to time. I have heard about a new bag that had a filter to release the aromas, but all you smell is the filter and the scent that is in it. I am not a fan of emptying my bag, and I do not think I ever will get used to that. It is not very pleasant and usually smells horrid.


As a construction worker with an ostomy bag, life is not much different than it was before. I can still get my work done, sure I may not be as fast as I once was, but it makes me take my time and think everything through. There are still some adjustments I have to make, but in time I will get used to this pouch being there. I am happy to be still alive and well, all things considered. My coworkers support me and my situation, and they all respect the slower speed I work at now. I’m glad to be surrounded by such good people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Life as a construction worker with colostomy

I am a full-time construction worker for work. About six months ago, I found out I had to get a colostomy as I was having destructive intern...